Sunday, June 13, 2010

Day Forty-nine

A long session today. Made quite a mess of things, but I think I have it all sorted out now. Panel three needs more work, and right now, looks pretty rough. I became obsessed with getting the knotwork down to one single strand (Line) and went about it the wrong way round. Usually I design a piece, lay out the knotwork pattern the way I like it, try to keep it uniform, and then work out the over-unders of the line. Usually the line only needs to change course once or twice to all become one single line. Usually it is very easy to correct and sketch in. I completely overestimated the ease of erasability of these canvas boards. Once i traced the path of the knotwork and figured out where the cross overs would be, they had to be covered over and redrawn and the whole path traced over again. Even with a tracing paper overlay, this proved difficult, so I was forced to do a lot of background drawing on the board itself with a marker that would show up, but not contrast. So - right now, panel three is marked up to within an inch of its life and it is not a pretty sight. Once things are painted in, it will be perfect. But I did not have the heart to photograph it till things are cleaned up. It was a big - mistake? - no that is not the word because it was a major learning experience. Yes, that's it - a big learning experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment