Friday, September 17, 2010
It has been over a week since I last posted. this is the first opportunity I have had to resume work on this piece. The glass squares have been cut, copper foiled and fitted into the frame. This was the very easy part. It took two hours to get this far. These pieces were merely measured out and cut with my Morton Glass cutting system, using a straight edge and guides. All the pieces were pretty uniform this way and only minimal fitting and grinding was required. All the pieces from here out will need to be traced, cut and fitted. A little more work, but not too much more, I think.
Wednesday, September 8, 2010
Have made the start. No glass cut yet, but everything else is now ready, as these photos show. I printed out and numbered the template - (photo 1). I then organized my glass - (photo 2). I thought I had a purple piece, to alternate with the dark blue, but I do not. I am going to use the light and dark blues to contrast the red, yellow, orange and green. Thirdly, I cut the template into individual pieces - (photo 3). I will use these to trace on the glass and cut out. Finally, I set up the assembly area - (photo 4). All the fitting work as well as the soldering will take place here. the frame holds the pieces into a rctangle shape, and the pattern will be used to fit the finished pieces.
Tuesday, September 7, 2010
I have a design for a stained glass panel I want to to. It is a cross with lilies. The piece will be avalable for sale after its completion. As envisioned, the cross will have a yellow center that will blend out to red. The background will be contrasting blue and purples. The lilies will be of a varigated green and white. The whole piece will be approximately 11 x 15. I have printed out the paper template and will begin work on it tomorrow. I have no idea how long it will take, but will use this project as a guide for future time estimation.